Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog just ate a couple of diapers. I gave him hydrogen peroxide

My dog just ate a couple of diapers. I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he threw a fair bit up, though I'm not sure if it is all of it. Should I take him in to the vet anyway?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
Because larger pieces of diaper could cause an obstruction, it would be worthwhile to get into a vet. They will very likely want to do an abdominal x-ray. The only problem is that diaper fragments may not be visible, but better to take the x-ray to see what is and is not visible.

If you elect not to go to the vet:
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would a wait and see approach work best? Or have him drink water, etc. ..I do have access to a 24-hour emergency vet.

Well, from a vet's point of view, not knowing how much was ingested vs. how much was vomited up, we always like x-rays!

If the pieces vomited up appeared to be small fragments, then we would also hope that anything remaining is small fragments.

So, best for x-rays, but understand if you choose a wait and see approach. You have already done what you can to get some of the diaper out of his system.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?