Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a small dog on insulin twice a day. She eats 6am w/shot

I have a small dog on insulin twice a day. She eats 6am w/shot and 6pm w/shot. I am going to be forced to give her shot early because I have to leave town and my Husband wont be home from work until 3.5 hours after her regular feeding and shot time. What do I do?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital. I am sorry to hear about this concern. It doesn't have to be perfect. If you have to do a feeding and insulin an hour or two early or late, that is perfectly fine. Even if you have to wait 3.5 hours, since it is only once, this really should not cause any excessive problem for regulation. In addition, I would also just resume insulin and feeding at the normal time the next day as well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful. Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible. Dr. Andy

If you had requested an expert, it may have created a 15 minute delay before another expert like me had a chance to answer the question. Sorry about the delay.

Hi Pamela,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?