Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My two dogs, a husky weighing approx 60 pounds and a Labrador

My two dogs, a husky weighing approx 60 pounds and a Labrador retriever weighing 65 pounds, got into our garbage and ate:

A 9 oz bag of pumpkin spice m&ms (milk chocolate)
A slice of pizza
A cup if powdered sugar

I assume that the dogs will experience upset stomach. Is there any need for me to take them to the emergency vet?

Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 12 months ago.
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Those are two very sneaky dogs. Upset stomach will definitely be your biggest concern. The chocolate would have to be upwards of a 2-3 pounds each of milk chocolate to cause a problem for them. There isn't a need for an emergency clinic visit at this point but watch them for vomiting, belly pain, lethargy, diarrhea (especially watch for blood) or lack of appetite. If any of that occurs then have them seen by a veterinarian. Make sure to offer plenty of water and I'd recommend giving bland food for a few days if the intestinal upset occurs. Chicken breast and white rice are good choices. If you have more questions or need clarification please reply back.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
One of the dogs ate chocolate about a month ago and did have to go to the ER after exhibiting nervousness and heavy panting. Do we have to worry about pancreatitis withy the dogs?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also, I forgot to say thank you for the quick response
You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Pancreatitis would be the main possibility so that's why it would be best to watch for the symptoms I described. With all of those unusual and rick foods pancreatitis is probably the worst case scenario. Luckily milk chocolate is not nearly as toxic as dark chocolate or the other chocolates. For a 60 pound dog it would take about 2 pounds of pure milk chocolate to cause a problem so I think they will be fine as far as the chocolate goes.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
Sorry, that should say rich foods, not rick. Tried to type too fast I guess. :)
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Both dogs are fine, Thanks for checking in, and thanks for your help!
That's great news. I'm glad to hear it.