Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Greetings. My 13 year old border collie has an issue with

Greetings. My 13 year old border collie has an issue with his right dew claw. A few days ago, we noticed a raised pinkish swollen area directly between the declaw and his leg. It bothers him; he is chewing and licking at it and today, he is limping slightly on that right leg. What do you suggest? Are there any home treatments I can apply? thanks in advance. Barb howard

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello Barb. I'd like to help.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is there any bleeding or discharge?

Dr. Christian K. :

How much does he weigh?

Dr. Christian K. :

Does he take any medications or have other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rocky weights about 55 pounds.

No discharge at this point.

No medications either.

He does have multiple allergies.

Thank you for answering my questions. There are several things you can try in this situation. It isn't uncommon for a dog to injure it's dewclaw and then develop a minor infection or swelling in that area. I'm hoping that is what is going on with Rocky. In extremely rare instances there could be a tumor developing in that area. If the things I suggest do no improve the situation in the next few days then I'd recommend having him seen by a veterinarian.

You can do epsom salt soaks of that foot. Epsom salts mixed with warm water for a foot bath can be very beneficial for treating infection and reducing inflammation. You can try this twice daily for 5-10 minutes at a time. Make sure to thoroughly rinse and dry the foot afterward.

After the foot bath you can apply some triple antibiotic ointment (such as neosporin) and then apply a bandage to protect the area. Keep the bandage clean and dry.

You can try giving 1/2 of a buffered 325mg aspirin every 12 hours for pain. However, keep in mind that even aspirin has the potential to cause intestinal upset and ulcers in dogs so only use it sparingly and never for more than a few days at a time.

If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rather than using neosporin, I plan to use Goldenseal and/or echinacea and calendula oil as antibiotic sources. Do you have any concerns with that action I should know about?

No. That should be just fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I am off to treat the dog and will rate this chat as "good" since I don't know the outcome. Is there a way to modify my response to "excellent" if I choose to? Thanks again for the time and information.

I honestly don't know for sure. I don't think you can change a rating once it has been given. You're welcome. Have a great day and good luck.