Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

my dog seems to be constipated at first she would not drink

my dog seems to be constipated at first she would not drink now she is drinking alot of water we took her for a walk and she is good with that,but then she runs way in the back to go to the bathroom and nothing she pees fine,what can I do for her help she is 7yr shar pei thank you
This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help.
When did this start?
Has she had any vomiting?
How much does she weigh?
Was she able to pass anything at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

friday she did vomit this morning it was just a little 75lbs i would have to say no she didnt pass anything

Thank you for answering my questions. Keep a close eye on her bowel movements. In some cases diarrhea can sometimes look like constipation because a dog can sometimes strain without passing anything with diarrhea when the large intestine is irritated. Try adding a tablespoon or two of canned pumpkin to her food for the next few days. The fiber in the pumpkin is very safe and will help improve constipation. If you she stops eating, starts vomiting again, continues not to eat or develops belly pain then have her seen by a veterinarian. You could try feeding bland, easily digestible foods to see if she will eat better. Examples include white rice and chicken breast mixed with warm chicken broth. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its good thats she drinking water right ?will that help her she doesnt have any pain in her belly but her nose is not wet does that mean anything

It's definitely good that she is drinking water. Let her have as much as she wants. I wouldn't take a dry nose as a sign one way or the other.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you

You're welcome. Good luck.
Hi Carmella,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Raven. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took her to her vet and she is doing better he checked her out and put her on metronidazole said she mighty have killed a animal we have alot of land she is doing better you were right she did have diarrhea thank you carmella now all is wants to eat is rice and chicken not her dog food

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

You're welcome Carmella. I'm glad she's feeling better
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you she is just like one of my children we do love her,but now i cant get her to eat her dog food.

You're best bet is to start mixing the dog food with the chicken rice slowly over the next week or so. Increase the amount of dog food each day until you've got her completely switched over.