Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

i have 10month pit/lab mix,he has small sores and his hair

i have 10month pit/lab mix,he has small sores and his hair is coming out and been sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Barley is not feeling well

Dr. Altman :

Besides the sores and hair loss, how is he showing signs he is ill? Does he have weight loss, vomiting/ diarrhea, reduced appetite, lethargy?

Customer:

yes to all

Dr. Altman :

And what came first? The hair loss/ sores or the other signs?

Customer:

first sign was just lying around with no life, then would not eat for a day, last night vomting some. does drink water and eat some. but his hair is coming out alot. took him to get a bath last monday.

Dr. Altman :

Did Barley have his puppy vaccinations at 8,12, 16 weeks old? Distemper/ Parvo/ Parainfluenza vaccination?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Altman :

Is he still lethargic, no energy?

Customer:

no acts pretty normal jumping around now

Dr. Altman :

OK good!

Dr. Altman :

And stools?

Customer:

when i brushed him today found some sores on his skin. been going to bathroom ok

Dr. Altman :

Was the bath the first one he had at a groomer?

Customer:

stools normal

Customer:

no

Dr. Altman :

OK so you have used this groomer prior? And you have not applied flea or tick prevention since?

Customer:

yes applied new one this month from walmart hertz first defence instead of frontline

Dr. Altman :

OK and when did you do that?

Customer:

put it on him around 5th of month

Dr. Altman :

This is very common to see with this brand in particular

Dr. Altman :

So before the bath?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

bath was last monday

Dr. Altman :

The hair loss and lesions can be from the hartz product

Dr. Altman :

Or he could be having a reaction to the shampoo used at the groomer's

Dr. Altman :

Sometimes they use different brands

Dr. Altman :

Is he itchy?

Customer:

shampoo is a concentrate hypo allergenic no tears same as she used everytime

Dr. Altman :

I still have seen reactions to the hypoallergenic shampoos... sometimes a new bottle they change the formula even though it is exactly the same label

Customer:

yes a litte itchy but not bad

Dr. Altman :

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst?

Customer:

4

Dr. Altman :

Are the sores red and oozing? Where are they on his body?

Customer:

not oozing just a lettle bloody dried up top back hind quts

Customer:

he isnt bothering them

Dr. Altman :

So the possible causes are going to be an allergy to the shampoo or the new product, demodex mites, fungal, or skin allergies

Customer:

what should i do for this

Dr. Altman :

I would try bathing him again with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo and leave it on the areas ten minutes daily to twice daily along with 1 mg/ pound benadryl every 8 - 12 hours to help with the itch

Dr. Altman :

If it is due to the shampoo or new flea prevention then this will help

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately the lesions may require treatment with oral antibiotics to resolve

Dr. Altman :

He may need to go into your vet if there is no change or progression in the next few days for further testing

Dr. Altman :

Demodex is diagnosed off skin scrapes, fungal on a fungal culture

Dr. Altman :

I would take a picture today so that you can see how things look in a few days

Dr. Altman :

When you look at the area daily it is hard to tell how things are changing but if you have a photos it is easier to follow

Dr. Altman :

I will warn you that the shampoo may make it appear worse before better

Dr. Altman :

Because it will flush the follicles and therefore cause further hair loss before improving

Dr. Altman :

But the scabs and dried blood should turn into pink versus red skin

Dr. Altman :

But if his itching gets worse, the area grows/ becomes more red, or he is simply not improving (including becoming lethargic again) then I would advise a veterinary visit to diagnose the issue

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately I do see demodex fairly commonly in pits and pit mixes at this age

Dr. Altman :

So if this is the case diagnosis and treatment asap is ideal to prevent progression and treat aggressively

Dr. Altman :

Neither fungal nor demodex are itchy

Dr. Altman :

Does this make sense? Can I clarify anything or assist with additional questions?

Customer:

should i put anything on the sores?

Dr. Altman :

No, typically in dogs applying an ointment can trap in moisture and cause the sores to get worse

Customer:

ok

Dr. Altman :

And if it is demodex certain ointments will actually make this worse

Dr. Altman :

I know, it is human nature to want to apply ointments but in this case I would avoid it

Customer:

should stop using the hertz

Dr. Altman :

Yes

Dr. Altman :

I have seen way too many problems with this product

Customer:

go back to frontline

Dr. Altman :

You can get the generic frontline which is pet armour

Dr. Altman :

Or go back to the frontline

Dr. Altman :

It simply is not worth the risk because if it is a reaction to the product it will be more severe next time

Customer:

ok

Dr. Altman :

Pet armour is in target, walmart

Dr. Altman :

Or stick with what you know was safe for him

Customer:

should i take hime to vet tomorow or wait to see how he is in few days. after i give him benadryl

Customer:

really dont have the money to take him

Dr. Altman :

I would give him a few days as long as he is not recurring in the vomiting, lethargy

Customer:

should he have antibiotic

Dr. Altman :

If it is the shampoo or the topical flea it should help

Dr. Altman :

Let's give him 24 hours (today +/- tomorrow) for the shampoo and benadryl to help and see how he is doing and go from there

Dr. Altman :

But please if he is lethargic get him in

Customer:

he is normal acting

Dr. Altman :

Great

Customer:

lots of enerey and wants to jump and play

Dr. Altman :

God

Dr. Altman :

Oops, Good :)

Customer:

we will try it and see how he is tomorrow

Dr. Altman :

OK great

Dr. Altman :

How else can I assist you today?

Customer:

thanks for your help

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Customer:

no

Dr. Altman :

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.