Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

For the first observed time our pet dog (chow & mix) while

For the first observed time our pet dog (chow & mix) while resting on the couch, gave several soft heaves and threw-up about 1/2 cup of clear fluid with several small dots of blood and several light ribbons of light red blood (?). The dog has not eaten for 8-9 hours. The dog has good energy and his behavior is unchanged. I am concerned about the blood. Any thoughts or comments? Big Thanks, Jim
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Danny Boy.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

I am a bit concerned that you would already be seeing any blood. The presence of blood, even if just some light ribbons or speckles, suggests there is ulceration in the stomach or esophagus. So, I don't doubt he is a bit nauseated and uncomfortable.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

But, I do agree, it is a bit concerning that some blood would already be evident in the vomit, and that is a clear indicator to get to a vet to day for some good supportive medication. For testing, I would expect a vet to recommend some abdominal x-rays and possibly a basic blood test to try and figure things out.

Very sorry he is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Danny Boy. How is everything going?