Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

Does a dog always vomit if there is a partial obstruction where

Does a dog always vomit if there is a partial obstruction where you can't recognize on barium X-ray what it is ? My dog hasn't vomited at all , in fact he does have bowel movement. Pancreatitis has been ruled out by blood test by my vet. My vet suggest surgery based on barium test results.
Hi,Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear Snuggle's situation. A dog with a partial intestinal obstruction may have vomiting as part of the history or they may not. Usually though vomiting is seen - but I've seen cases where they are just painful and not eating well or at all. What treatments are being done at this time? Sometimes an exploratory is suggested as the current diagnostics give an indication of a blockage. I've had barium series studies before that weren't conclusive when the dog did have a blockage. Sometimes an abdominal ultrasound can be done to diagnose if it is there. This is less invasive than an exploratory but sometimes can still be non-specific. Please hit reply to continue the conversation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We moved Snuggles to a larger vet hospital facility. They are keeping him overnight and observing. They are stopping the pain meds that had opiuts in it that the 1st vet gave him. They will continue with general antibiotic and IV fluids and will try to feed him later today. They said that Snuggles does not have a temp and all blood work is normal. The barium x ray shows that the barium is moving thru his digestive tract as it should but some is still in his stomach which could mean the pain meds slowed down the digestive tract. They don't feel there is any need to do explatory surgery at this time. Snuggles did show signs when I picked him under his belly that it hurt but only when I picked him up in a certain spot. I am just not sure what it is , help! and the this vet said that it could be as simple as gastritis. what do you think?

Honestly, I like the plan that the bigger vet hospital has in place. Give the iv fluids, time, and see how he responds. He's not vomiting. He's not obviously painful in their evaluation. They barium series sounds like it wasn't screaming obvious for a blockage. I would hold off on the exploratory and see what the next 12-24 hours shows. Could it be gastritis? Yes. That is something treated medically and not surgically.
Hi Jackie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snuggles. How is everything going?