Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 11 yr. old Pomeranian dog died after vomiting for three

My 11 yr. old Pomeranian dog died after vomiting for three days. I went away for the weekend and I tried to get home in time on Sunday to rush him to the emergency vet hospital but he died before I could get home. His vomit was yellow, then green, and then one time it was bloody and then he stopped breathing. Was it my fault for not getting home in time to save him?

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can

Dr. G. :

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure Keiko was very loved and I know he will be missed

Dr. G. :

As far as your question is concerned: it is very difficult to say what exactly caused his death

Dr. G. :

Typically if a dog is vomiting for more than one day, it is best to get them to the vet.

Dr. G. :

The fact that the vomit became bloody is very concerning as that typically means there is a major illness present

Dr. G. :

Even if you had taken him to the vet, he still may not have made it

Dr. G. :

I would not blame yourself for not being home. Our pets can decline rapidly in their older years and you can't just wait around waiting for something to happen and not live your life. Keiko was likely very sick before the vomiting, but was not showing any abnormal signs

Dr. G. :

what questions do you have for me?

Customer:

When you say "major illness" what do you mean? I had noticed that after his last grooming appointment when I lifted him out of my truck that he cried a little as if something hurt inside him but he continued to run and play and bark at the cats and other dogs.

Dr. G. :

Major illness that would cause a rapid decline, whether it was kidney disease, hormone diseases, heart disease, liver disease, cancer of some sort, etc. Most dogs will mask discomfort until they are really sick.

Dr. G. :

One thing that can be done to determine cause of death is a necropsy (animal autopsy), which can lead to an exact diagnosis. However if it has been a few days now, that is really not a good option at this point due to decay of the remains

Customer:

Thank you. I think that makes sense now and I can stop blaming myself. I don't think he would have made it if I had rushed him to the hospital last Sunday. I just miss him so much, he was such a sweetheart.

Dr. G. :

I don't think he would have made it given how quickly he became sick. I know it is very difficult to lose a beloved companion. We lost our 19 year old cat last week and it is hard not to think about her everyday. Our pets have a special place in our lives and Keiko will always have a special place in your heart

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Dr. G. :

you're welcome. Take care. Have a great weekend.