Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog is having 2 or 3 episodes a day where she starts trembling,

My dog is having 2 or 3 episodes a day where she starts trembling, lowers her head and puts her ears back, walks very slowly or not at all, or sometimes walks backward. She has been to her vet twice and to the ER vet once when these episodes were accompanied by her crying out as if she was in pain. Neither vet has an answer for me. I've been given carprofen, tramadol, and metronidazole for her but she does not seem to be improving. When she is not having these episodes, she seems fine and is acting appropriate. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with her? I'm very worried.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Roxy is having these episodes

Dr. G. :

Has roxy had any bloodwork run since these episodes began? Is she on any medications right now? Does she seem painful by touch anywhere on her body? How long has this been going on?

Customer:

She was prescribed the tramadol and carprofen when I took her to the ER vet on 10/10 and has been taking it since. The metronidazole was prescribed to her by her regular vet on 10/14. I was told on the 9th (her initial visit to her regular vet) that her bloodwork (cbc, chem panel, organ function tests) were WNL. On the 14th they did a fecal exam and said she had an overgrowth of bacteria in her stool so they gave me the antibiotic.

Customer:

Since the episode on the 10th when I took her to the ER because she was crying out, I have not noticed that she seems to be in pain. But during the episodes she seems stiff and slow moving.

Dr. G. :

Does she seem aware of what is going on during these events? does she look at you, look around, or stare off in the distance? Does she let go of her stool or bowel at all during these events?

Customer:

She is not incontinent at all. She doesn't seem particularly confused, she almost looks scared because she puts her head down and her ears back and then sometimes walks backward. When I call her name she seems to hear me but usually will not turn her head.

Dr. G. :

I see. This could be due to a neurologic or neuromuscular problem. Further testing is likely going to be needed to rule out some of these diseases. Without performing a full neurologic exam on her, it is very difficult to give you any direction as to what exactly is going on.For that reason, what I would recommend doing in her case is taking her to see a veterinary neurologist (a specialist who works only on cases similar to these). It seems like your vet is not really making much progress, and I think a specialist is exactly what you need. What I recommend doing is recording a video of one of these episodes so you can show it to the neurologist. Record multiple videos if possible. Your vet should be able to refer you to the one closest to you and fax all the appropriate paperwork

Customer:

I guess I sort of figured that. Am I wrong for being as concerned as I am if my vet doesn't seem to be treating it like it's a huge issue?

Dr. G. :

I don't think you are wrong. To be quite honest, most regular vets simply do not have the time to work with a case like this that requires a lot of follow up. I think that there are often dogs that have minor episodes like this that go away and never come back, so many vets tend to ignore trembling, however since this is not improving at all, I think it really needs to be addressed and worked up more. The specialist is great because they have so much more time to work on the case and work with you.

Customer:

OK thank you for you help

Customer:

*your help

Dr. G. :

you are very welcome. I wish you the best with Roxy. I know this is frustrating for you and her.

Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information, otherwise please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not believe you have received this, please reply back before rating and I will help you further. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Customer:

You too thanks again