Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I gave the insulin to my dog 5 hours late

I forgot to give my dog her insulin shot and when I remembered it was 5 hours on. i gave her more food and then I gave her the full shot. i probsbly should have reduced the dose.... She is due for another in shot the morning. Should we delay that or give her less in the morning? She normally has 2 shots a day. And 4 feeds a day to keep her balanced.    How long to answer this..

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Finne. This type of situation actually happens pretty frequently. What is her normal dose of insulin and what type is it? How long has she been a diabetic?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

caninsulin 6 at night 7 in the morning. She has been a diabetic for about 4 months

Thank you for that information Lynne. In a situation like this, the easiest and safest thing to do is to just skip the morning dose and then do the regular evening dose tomorrow. This approach will make sure that an overdose of insulin doesn't happen and her blood sugar isn't dropped too low. The nice thing about this is that it will get her back to her regular insulin schedule easily. In a situation like this, just missing one dose will allow her blood sugar levels to get high again, but if you look at the big picture, she was that high for many days to weeks prior to being diagnosed as a diabetic and started on her insulin. IN a situation like this, I just recommend skipping the next dose.
Hi Lynne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Finne. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

your advice was good. Finne is back on her regular insulin. I have added an app to my phone so that I never forget again.

Thank you

Lynne Hutchison

Awersome! I'm glad to hear that things are going well Lynne. Don't feel that you're the only owner to have ever done something like this!