Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

If shampoo is not rinsed away well does it cause a reaction

If shampoo is not rinsed away well does it cause a reaction for the dog to bite at skin and leave sores
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Shampoo residue certainly can cause irritation.

Dr. Drew :

It's also possible for there to be a reaction to one of the ingredients, so even if rinsed well, there could still be discomfort and itching after rinsing.

Dr. Drew :

You can try giving Buddy some Benadryl, 1mg per pound of body weight, to see if that helps at all.

Dr. Drew :

You might want to try a soap-free Oatmeal shampoo, to see if that provides more soothing relief.

Dr. Drew :

You can order an oatmeal shampoo with Pramoxine in it, you might also find it locally, the Pramoxine is a topical anesthetic which numbs the skin to reduce itching.

Customer:

what about the skin sores?

Dr. Drew :

well, if they are deep enough, an antibiotic will be needed, from a veterinarian.

Dr. Drew :

you can try applying neosporin-plus on them,

Dr. Drew :

that's an antibiotic with a pain reliever,

Customer:

how do you know how deep they are?

Dr. Drew :

it may help reduce the discomfort and help healing,

Dr. Drew :

if they are moist or oozing, they are deep enough to require oral antibiotics.

Customer:

they do have scabs on them and he still digs at them do you think maybe it is a fleaaa thing too?

Dr. Drew :

flea allergy is the most common cause of itchy skin in dogs,

Dr. Drew :

primarily in the rear half of the body.

Customer:

most sores are in the middle to bottom of his back and there is a rash on the underside too and he bites at the inside of his back legs too

Dr. Drew :

well, that certainly could be consistent with a flea allergy.

Dr. Drew :

oral steroids such as Prednisone are often needed to calm a flea allergy.

Customer:

will all this help with that too

Dr. Drew :

it will help, but may not be enough on its own.

Dr. Drew :

a hydrocortisone cream such as Cortaid could be applied to the itchiest areas.

Customer:

he has had fleas before and it did not do this

Dr. Drew :

but it often isn't quite enough.

Dr. Drew :

well, some dogs develop flea allergies over time,

Dr. Drew :

just like people, allergies can develop or worsen as time goes on.

Customer:

kind of like humans right well I thank you very much and in your opinion should I take him to the vet or do the home things first and see how it goes

Dr. Drew :

If it's tough to arrange for veterinary care due to cost or other issues, then you could try the above described things for 24-48 hours, to see if any improvement is noted,

Dr. Drew :

if not, then it's definitely time for veterinary care.

Dr. Drew :

also, be sure the fleas are being killed, if any are still present.

Customer:

Again thank you

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome!

Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery