Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My French bulldog is 4 years old I think. He was a rescue.

Customer Question

My French bulldog is 4 years old I think. He was a rescue. He has always been very healthy but this morning (rainy and cool outside) he was acting like he had a spasm in his back. He was walking fine when I took him out but when we came back in for about a minute he was dragging his legs and like turning it scared him as much as me. it stopped and he is playing fine. Is there anything I can give him for inflammation over the counter or to help joints that actually works. It scared me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Over the counter anti inflammatory options for dogs are quite limited,

Dr. Drew :

due to the risk of side effects,

Dr. Drew :

but in a situation where prescription medicines are not available, buffered aspirin is often suggested.

Dr. Drew :

the usual amount given is 5mg per pound of body weight, every 12 hours.

Dr. Drew :

with repeated use, there is an increasing risk of stomach ulcers,

Dr. Drew :

so it's far from ideal,.

Dr. Drew :

but it is safer than the other over-the-counter anti inflammatory medicines.

Dr. Drew :

As for joint supplements,

Dr. Drew :

my preference is Dasuquin, or the lesser version, Cosequin.

Dr. Drew :

Glyco-Flex is another good brand.

Dr. Drew :

I'd avoid the generic glucosamine products, as their purity and potency isn't verifiable.

Dr. Drew :

Dasuquin and Cosequin have lots of science behind them,

Dr. Drew :

and I trust their quality.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is this common for it to happen like that he was playful and loving right after and like I said it was only like 1 or 2 minutes..anything I can do naturally that will help with spasms

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
If he's back to normal then I would say you can just monitor him for any sign of recurrence.

Glucosamine/chondroitin are "natural" products, but there's nothing specifically for any type of muscle spasm that is a "natural" product.

Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Otis. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he is doing fine. Im not sure what happened. Ty for following up. he has been good

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear it. I hope all continues to be well.