Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 15 year old beagle, Jeb, is having muscle spasms in both

My 15 year old beagle, Jeb, is having muscle spasms in both front and back legs. He does not appear to be in pain. He is not moving much only standing and shaking with his head in a lowered position. His tail is wagging and he is eating and drinking.
I have given him 10 mg of aspirin, but it does not appear to be helping. Any information will be very much appreciated.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Are his limbs shaking as if he was cold?
3- Are the spasm occurring while resting, standing or both?
4- Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea?
5- How much does he weigh?
6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. 2 to 3 days

2. No, more of jerking that is slower than a shiver

3. Both

4. No

5. 20 lbs

6. No

1- Is he having trouble getting up from the floor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, no more than usual. He has slowed down considerably over the last couple of years.

Tom, when we see muscle spasms as you are describing in Jeb it can be caused by inflammation, electrolyte abnormalities, weakness, etc. In older dogs often it is seen with arthritis, a pinch nerve along the back, etc. On history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause, Jeb will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime keep him on Aspirin every 12 hours, you need to increase the dose to 325mg 1/2 (half) tablet every 12 hours. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter