Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my dog cant do #2 what can I give her to help her

my dog can't do #2 what can I give her to help her
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Sadi.
Normally, we don't consider a dog constipated until they have not pooped in about 48 hours.
If she is struggling to go #2, I can provide some suggestions for constipation, but she may really need to get into a vet.

Some options to possibly help with constipation include:
- Offering a little milk. Cats and dogs can be lactose intolerant, and just like in people, this can result in a laxative effect.
- Offering some canned pumpkin, Metamucil, or bran (1-2 teaspoons). The fiber pulls water in from the colon and this can help to move stool. Make sure your pet is drinking water if giving any of these supplements.
- Encouraging water intake is very important. You can add some canned food to the water or some canned tuna juice to make it more tasty. Make sure to change frequently as the water will spoil.
- Often, severe impaction can occur, where the colon is overly distended with firm feces. This is called a Megacolon, and you need a veterinarian’s assistance. This condition can often require repeated enemas by a veterinarian, and none of the above will work.

Other Home Remedies for Dog Constipation

Keep in mind, some of the suggestions above do run the risk of causing other problems like stomach upset. Also, if impacted, she may really need to get into the vet for an enema, which is often the easiest way to treat impaction.

Very sorry to hear she is in distress. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Tj,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadi. How is everything going?