DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

what is my dog ate an 81 mg aspirin

what is my dog ate an 81 mg aspirin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 year ago.

DrRalston :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Veterinarian and will help you right away!
How much does Tinkerbell weigh?

DrRalston :

Hello?

DrRalston :

Hello.

Customer:

about 4 pds.

DrRalston :

The normal dose of aspirin is 5-10 mg per pound of weight. So this dose is about double the recommended dose.

DrRalston :

Serious health issues can start at 30 mg per pound or around 120mg.

DrRalston :

You could be approaching that dose.

Customer:

She picked it up off the floor when it was dropped what can I do for her

DrRalston :

When did this happen?

Customer:

about 20 min ago

DrRalston :

Ok. Good. Part if it is likely still in the stomach. To reduce the risk, you might induce vomiting.

DrRalston :

1. Into a small bowl, glass or mug, pour some three percent hydrogen peroxide from the bottle (you might get lucky and some pets will drink it, most won't and so you go to number 2....)

2. Using an eyedropper or baster, draw up about 1 tbsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 #'s

3. Open the mouth slightly and insert the end of the syringe. Squirt a steady stream of the hydrogen peroxide toward the back of the mouth, which will force the pet to swallow it. Then kind of jog the dog around to mix it up in the stomach. You might even roll your dog around on the ground a few times.

4. Wait ten minutes. If your pet hasn't yet started to vomit, repeat steps 2 and 3.

5. You can repeat this up to 3 times.

If that doesn't work a 1/2 to a teaspoon of salt on the back of the tongue will sometimes work.

Customer:

Ok thank you very much

Customer:

I will try then take her to the vet thank you so much

DrRalston :

You are welcome. I think Tinkerbell will be ok. :)

DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  DrRalston replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tinkerbell. How is everything going?

DrRalston