Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 56 pound weimaraner/lab (we think) mix just ate two small

My 56 pound weimaraner/lab (we think) mix just ate two small chocolate cupcakes. The icing was not chocolate. She is being treated for heartworm, and had an immiticide shot on Thursday and one on Friday. What should we do?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, 2 chocolate cupcakes does not have enough chocolate to be systemically toxic in a 56 lbs Gracie. At worst, Gracie may vomit or have diarrhea, otherwise she will be fine. If she develops vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the heartworm treatment relevant in any way? I read that chocolate can affect the heart, and we are supposed to be keeping her heart rate steady.

Yes, chocolate can affect the heart in toxic doses, not the amount that is normally found in a chocolate cupcake. This will not affect the heartworm treatment either. If you want to feel better, I can explain to you how to induce vomiting if you have hydrogen peroxide. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't want to cause her any unnecessary stress, so if she doesn't need the hydrogen peroxide, I wouldn't give it to her just to reassure myself. If she has not had enough chocolate to affect her heart, then I would rather just watch her and follow your other instructions.

Do you agree with my reasoning?

I agree with your reasoning. The amount of chocolate in 2 cupcakes should not affect the heart.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Peter-

Gracie is doing fine, no problems at all. She's ready to steal the next tin of cupcakes she can find

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. Thanks for your help!

You're Welcome Karen.

Dr. Peter