Dr. Tad
Dr. Tad, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years as a small animal and emergency veterinarian
24225848

I have a female boxer approximately 3 years old who just lays

I have a female boxer approximately 3 years old who just lays around holding a soft rubber toy in her mouth and whining all the time.
I've looked into her mouth and her gums are swollen almost covering her bottom teeth int the front. Is there anything I can give her to help relieve her swollen gums?

Dr. Tad : Hi!
Dr. Tad : There are several possibilities as to what could be causing the swelling in your dog's mouth. What you are describing is not normal.
Dr. Tad : The first thing that comes to mind when I read your question is known as gingival hyperplasia. This is extremely common in boxers and is basically overgrowth of normal gum tissue. Often, a dental cleaning needs to be done and the abnormal excess gum tissue trimmed back to normal. This recurs and may need to be done every year or two in affected dogs.
Dr. Tad : other possibilities would include an oral mass, infection in that area of the gum, or problems with the teeth leading to tooth root infections. I would recommend having your veterinarian take a look and determine the next course of action. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can just rub on the gums to relieve any of these problems.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns

Dr tad