Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I have a 7 month old chihuahua and he is a gem. Very active

I have a 7 month old chihuahua and he is a gem. Very active and sociable. I do notice that on occasion he drinks his water too fast and subsequently chokes slightly or vomits the water only. Yesterday however I took him for a walk and he started reaching to throw up and fainted for a second and immediately recovered. Was a little off balance for two seconds and immediately was walking briskly and normally. It was a bit scary and the first time this has happened. What could be the cause?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. This definitely seems very interesting with little Brody and while there are a couple of possible causes for Brody's episodes yesterday - this is most likely a syncopal episode from what you have described.

If Brody seemed to collapse all of a sudden, but then recover just as quickly then this is likely syncope - aka fainting. It definitely doesn't sound like a seizure like episode if Brody wasn't shaking, didn't urinate or defecate during the event and recovered quickly. Syncope can be caused by a number of different things, but in this case, it could just be that during the vomiting/choking episode during the walk yesterday, Brody wasn't able to get enough oxygen to his brain. If he was choking for more than a few seconds, then this could have been enough for him to faint due to a lack of oxygen to the brain. This would be the most likely answer as to why this happened.

In saying that however, you should keep a close eye on him. If this happens again, then you will need to get Brody carefully examined by your local Vet. Here they can have a careful listen to his chest to ensure he doesn't have any primary heart issues. Young dogs can have congenital heart problems that pop up at around 6 - 12 months of age, so do be sure to get him checked if these symptoms continue.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.