Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog tonight fell from about 5 feet, now her front leg is

My dog tonight fell from about 5 feet, now her front leg is hurt and she is no longer able to walk on it. My dad and i, rushed her to the doctor and the doctor said she sprained her leg. we took her home and she was basically falling while trying to walk. do you think she will be okay?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tiki.
If you are giving a pill once every 24 hours, that sounds like a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication, which is a good choice. That is usually a drug like Rimadyl, Deramaxx or Previcox.

but, if she does not seem comfortable on that medication, make sure to also get a true pain medication tomorrow like Tramadol, to complement what you are giving.

My primary concerns for a limp on a front leg/paw include:
1. Having stepped on something that no longer remains.
2. Hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. insect bite or sting)
3. Hyperextension injury (like bending your wrist back too far)
4. A soft tissue injury (like sprain or straining your wrist or ankle)
5. Fracture, especially in the digits of the paw
6. In older pets, I always think about exacerbating arthritis (common for the elbow)

I am a little concerned that the vet has not taken any x-ray. A fall from that height for a Yorkie can result in a fracture.
So, if Tiki is not improving at all in next few days, x-rays will be very important.

Make sure to also restrict her activity. No running or jumping.

A hyperextension injury can take several weeks to improve, but she should be okay. Even if there was a fracture, with proper supportive treatment, she should be fine.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i forgot to say, the doctor did give tiki an x-ray. he said there was no break and everything looked okay. Thats why i dont understand why she is still falling while trying to walk.

Hi Leah,
An x-ray will only really be good for bones. There very well could be a ligament or tendon tear causing this bad favoring of the leg.

But, the injury just occurred. Give the medication some time to work and restrict her activity. I would expect some improvement over the next 72 hours. But, if still falling over, she may really need to be re-evaluated, and do not hesitate to get a second opinion from a surgical specialist (since they are good at orthopedic examinations) or a neurologist.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tiki has been feeling much better the past few days without being on the pill that she was taking. But tonight she started to limp badly again. Why is she limping again, could it be from not taking the pill?

Hi Leah,
Yes, if the pill was a pain medication or an anti-inflammatory, it may have been providing some good comfort.

In addition, if she seemed better and she was allowed to run around or jump, she very easily could have reinjured herself.

Sorry about Tiki's complication. some injuries, including bad soft tissue trauma or ligament problems can take weeks to improve or could even need surgery to correct.