Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Hi, my puppy that I just got today from a private breeder is

Hi, my puppy that I just got today from a private breeder is breathing very rapidly in his sleep. He is also panting. Is this normal?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

Was he doing this when he was awake too?

Dr. Christian K. :

Are his gums a normal pink color?

Dr. Christian K. :

How is he acting otherwise?

Dr. Christian K. :

How old is he?

Customer:

He is 11 weeks and has had both of his first set of shots. When he is awake his breathing seems to be normal. It is his first day home after I drove 3 hours to pick him up. He played all day and looked at his new surroundings.When he falls asleep his breathing seems to pick up rapidly.

Dr. Christian K. :

Puppies will tend to breath more rapidly than an adult dog and sometimes it is very easy to notice that when they are otherwise very quiet. All of the excitement of the day could be contributing. As long as he has been otherwise acting normal and his gums are a nice pink color then I wouldn't worry. If he acts lethargic, his gums look pale or his breathing is that way when he is awake or he starts coughing then have him seen by a veterinarian.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX persists I will call the vet tomorrow, but he acted very normal all day so I'm not very worried. Also, I am wondering if I will be able to take him to petsmart tomorrow while I go and get all of his new things. Would he be anle to go in the store with me or is it too risky?

Dr. Christian K. :

I don't typically recommend it for young puppies because I worry about them possibly catching something in the store such as kennel cough or parvo. There are just too many dogs going through those stores without unknown health and vaccine statuses. A young puppy still getting it's vaccines can still be susceptible to parvo for instance.

Customer:

Okay, thank you!

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. good luck.