Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My 3 yr old border collie german shepherd mix has a golf ball

My 3 yr old border collie german shepherd mix has a golf ball size lump on her right side of the neck. It looks irritated and red. She is eating and drinking fine. What could it be from?
Seems like it developed within a week to 10 days. She does chase bees and I believe she ate a few. Could the lump be from a bee sting?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Mila. It is very possible that the bump has occurred due to a bite or a sting. A couple of things you may want to try first is to give her some benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. This will help reduce inflammation and swelling if it is caused by a bite or sting. Also i would apply an ice pack every few hours for 10 to 15 minutes to help reduce inflammation even more. I would do this for a couple days and monitor closely for any improvement or worsening. If you do not see improvement or it worsens then she will need to be seen just in case it is infected or needs additional medications. Your vet will check to see what kind of cells are in the swollen lump and go from there if there is not improvement. i hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, you said to give Mila Benadryl. Even though she's had this lump for about 3 weeks now, and it has increased in size not too much. Would another antihistamine work if I don't have Benadryl?

Yes another anti histamine will work but the dose will be different. What anti histamine do you have? And yes try the medications and ice packs and if you do not see improvement then definitely have her seen.
Hi Paulette,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mila. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead