Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

wheezing, dry nose, not hungry, fever, cold feet

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Toby is not feeling well

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately a dry nose and cooler feet are myths as to a pet's state of health

Dr. Altman :

Do you have an ability to take his temperature with a thermometer?

Customer:

how? thru his mouth?

Dr. Altman :

Rectally with a digital or mercury thermometer. You can use vaseline to lubricate it but it is the most accurate way to take his temperature to determine if he is running a fever

Customer:

i dont have a thermometer. his chest and belly are warm. his head is a little. he is very sluggish, but normally very active and hyper.

Dr. Altman :

How long has he been showing these signs? Is he showing any signs of nausea (increased licking lips/ salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach), vomiting, or diarrhea?

Customer:

Just since this afternoon. He is trembling a little. Not really licking his lips. stools are solid.

Dr. Altman :

Is there any chance he could have gotten into anything ? Garbage, plant, household item or toy?

Customer:

He did get loose this weekend and was gone several hours. not sure where all he went other than there is a creek and tree line by our house that he likes to explore.

Dr. Altman :

OK so that definitely might be a factor...How is he walking? Is his tail tucked, walking hunched, stiff gaited?

Customer:

a little of all the above

Customer:

he was wagging his tail some, but reluctant to go anywhere without prodding. he is usally my shadow.

Dr. Altman :

Can you please check his gums for me? Are they nice and pink? Are they slimy with saliva or sticky to the touch?

Customer:

pink and pretty dry

Dr. Altman :

Is he resting now? Can you please count how many breaths he takes in one minute time? This tells me his breaths per minute and gives an indication of his heart rate and whether they are elevated

Customer:

38-40

Dr. Altman :

That is mildly elevated. Will he take one of his favorite treats from you? Is he responsive to his name?

Customer:

somewhat responsive to his name. he is holding his head up and not really wanting to lay all the way down. he wouldn't take his treat.

Dr. Altman :

When was the last time you know that he went out to urinate/ defecate?

Customer:

not exactly sure. he was in the house all day. he did poddy in his spot before 7:30 is the closest I can tell you.

Dr. Altman :

Do you have any previously dispensed pain medication for him? Rimadyl, previcox, metacam, tramadol...?

Customer:

no

Dr. Altman :

Well our options are to keep him quiet tonight, minimize his movements as much as possible and try to syringe him some water or pedialyte with a turkey baster until morning when your veterinarian opens to get him evaluated and treated appropriately or to consider a veterinary er to get him some pain medication tonight in order to allow him to rest comfortably

Dr. Altman :

His gums being pink mean that he is perfusing air normally, the increased respiratory rate (mild) can be an indication of pain, the way he is moving likely means he is having some back pain is my biggest concern

Dr. Altman :

The lack of appetite and warmer temperature can go along with the back pain as well

Dr. Altman :

I would hate to think of him not being able to lay down and rest all night long and if there is a chance that an er might be able to give him some relief until your vet opens in the morning it is something to consider

Customer:

he is holding his neck strange. could his neck be out of place?

Dr. Altman :

I do not think that he is in an emergency condition but without an exam and some bloodwork I cannot know for certain

Dr. Altman :

He could have a disk issue, yes absolutely would explain the signs

Dr. Altman :

What are your thoughts at this point?

Customer:

i do have an appt in the morning already for my other dog. would benydryl help?

Dr. Altman :

I thought of that. It might help him settle but unfortunately will do nothing for his pain

Dr. Altman :

You can definitely try it at 1 mg/ pound every 6-8 hours this evening

Dr. Altman :

But if he is seeming more uncomfortable or it is not helping at all I would consider an er to allow you both to get some sleep tonight

Dr. Altman :

How else can I assist you this evening? Can I clarify anything or answer any additional questions?

Customer:

ok thank you for your help.

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

So sorry your Toby is in such discomfort

Customer:

nothing i can think of.

Dr. Altman :

OK

Customer:

i know. it breaks my heart to see him like this!

Dr. Altman :

I wish you both luck the next 24 hours in figuring out what is causing him to act this way. Poor little guy :(

Dr. Altman :

f you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

thanks again.

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

You both will be in my thoughts...

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman