Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

Our 22 pound dog chewed a hydrocodone 5/500. I tried to induce

Customer Question

Our 22 pound dog chewed a hydrocodone 5/500. I tried to induce vomiting with peroxide but it didn't do anything.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Jasper's problem bu hopefully this may not be so serious.

My name isXXXXX am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. Under the circumstances it would be better to continue induce vomiting if possible, if you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this is likely to be effective. For the sake of speed I will give you a link to an accurate article which covers how to do this best. LINK

2. Hydrocodone is rarely used in dogs as it is in many ways unsuitable for them but where it is used a dose rate of between 2.5 to 10 mg per dog two to four times daily has been suggested. Given this it is likely that this will not be too serious an incident for your dog particularly on a one off basis but you should keep a good eye on her anyway.

3. You can reference this website for more information on the topic : LINK

4. Of course if your dog deteriorates or you become further concerned then it would be best that you seek hand son veterinary help without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Christie,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Jasper's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Christie,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Jasper is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott