Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

All of the sudden my female pit mix has started vomiting up

All of the sudden my female pit mix has started vomiting up partially digested food nightly about 4 hours after eating. Each time she is sleeping comfortably on the couch then abruptly awakens, stands and vomits. Both her and my male pit mix eat the same food and he has no symptoms. I feed Orijen Regionals dry and she only gets 2/3 cup twice a day. My home is clean. They have no access to chemicals or trash. They are walked on leash only in our yard and never left to roam unsupervised. Crated at night indoors and they come to my office everyday so they are constantly supervised. We give very little treats but high quality no grain and again both get same ones. When she vomits it is once and she is done and goes back to normal. Morning feeding she keeps down at this point. Bowels are firm, dark brown from red meat formula dog food as usual. I bag and dispose of each time so i would notice a difference. She is acting normal and has no other symptoms. I am stumped and don't want to put her through unnecessary vetting as she was abused and is terribly afraid of strangers. My vet comes to my house but cant do xrays or other scans etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear your Bailey is showing these symptoms

Dr. Altman :

May I ask, does she retch prior to vomiting or does she suddenly stand and regurgitation (no retching)? Is the vomitus a pile or a tubular shape?

Customer: Sorry was having trouble responding. System is glitchy. Anyway no real warning. I have sen it happen right in front of me. Startled stands then empties in a pile. Not tubular.
Dr. Altman :

I apologize if the system is giving you difficulties. If it continues I will change formats to Q&A which might take longer but will not be so frustrating for you to communicate. Can you tell me exactly what times you feed daily and if/ when you walk daily and how far?

Dr. Altman :

I am going to give you information on regurgitation in dogs while I await your response. The difference between regurgitation and vomiting is critical in determining the underlying cause and treating appropriately. CLICK HERE for more information

Dr. Altman :

I am going to change formats at this point. Hopefully this will help your ability to communicate. You may have to refresh your page to respond to the conversation once I do this...

Customer: Breakfast is around 7 am after morning poop. Not much morning walk then at office during the day walk around the comp,ex mid day. Come home around 4 and dogs usually have second bowel movement then free play outside on fenced patio with some frisbee catching running etc. She has half the energy my 2 year old male has but she still has fun. Then we feed in crate sometime between 5:30 and 6:30 and they stay crated for at least 30 mins after eating because i don't ever want bloat. I am very consistent with schedule so everything runs like clockwork.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
OK thank you for the additional information. Let's try a few things for the next few days...first I need her weight if you could please forward this. In the meanwhile I will work on my plan for resolving these regurgitation issues.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About 55 pounds.
1.) Add in fiber to the diet. This can be carrots, canned green beans, metamucil wafers (the cinnamon apple are typically a favorite), reducing the dry food and adding white rice (1/2 cup per meal), and/ or 1 tbsp of canned pumpkin twice daily. The purpose of the fiber is to increase the bulk of the meal which stimulates stomach emptying and increases gi motility
2.) Elevate food/ water bowls to chest level.
3.) No other changes to breakfast since there is no regurgitation in the mornings
4.) Dinner is now in two parts. 1/2 at the regular time you are currently feeding and the other half about 2-3 hours later, before bed. In between the feedings at about an hour after the first afternoon meal please take on a walk. This is an active walk not a leisurely walk of at least 15 minutes ideally 30+. Walks are very important increasing motility of the gi tract and increases stomach emptying as well. Since we are regurgitating this means that the food is in the stomach longer than it should be and we need to take efforts to empty the stomach to reduce this risk.
5.) Begin pepcid 10 mg every 12 hours (preferably 10-15 minutes prior to meals) OR prilosec 20 mg daily about 15 minutes before dinner based on the weight you gave me...

If there is still regurgitation at this point then unfortunately the issue maybe more mechanical and she may need x-rays and bloodwork to determine the underlying cause. If it is due to the issues I commonly see in pets at this age and not medical in origin this should be effective in reducing her signs.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with this evening!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you i will try what you suggested tomorrow. Have a good night
You as well I hope this is something readily treatable with my recommendations. Please keep me updated and let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both.

f you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman