Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Hi.my dog keeps walking up and down and wont settle.he keeps

Hi.my dog keeps walking up and down and won't settle.he keeps lifting his lft rear paw as if he has hurt it, however he has let me inspect it and there is nothing stuck in it.he also whines a lot and can't seem to get comfortable?
Submitted: 8 months ago via PetWave.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Max. It is quite possible that he has stepped on something or got stung by something that has caused some pain and discomfort. A couple of things you can try tonight to get him to relax and calm down and get some relief is to give him some benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound twice daily. This will reduce any inflammation and pain due to a bite or a sting. Also you can give him some tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. This will also provide pain relief and is an anti inflammatory. You can give both together safely with no concerns. You can repeat both in 12 hours and see how he is doing in the morning. Of course if anything worsens or does not improve then he should be seen by your vet for a thorough exam. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.