Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog had surgery today to remove a cyst. she has scratched

my dog had surgery today to remove a cyst. she has scratched it and now it is bleeding. can i bandage it? The incision is about 3 inches long and on her neck

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

I am not sure bandaging would be a good idea because bandaging the neck can effect breathing

Dr. Altman :

You can put a sock on both back feet to minimize the possibility of scratching and/ or use a big tube sock to cover it if that is not effective

Dr. Altman :

I will monitor for your entry to the chat or change formats in the next few moments if you have yet to answer live chat

Customer:

i have socks on her feet and have been holding her for the past 30 minutes or so and its still bleeding..is this normal?

Yes some oozing the day of surgery is normal. Especially if she is active or scratching at it more than expected.

You can also try 1 mg/ pound of benadryl every 6-8 hours to hopefully sedate her a little bit and reduce the itchiness of the incision but a larger incision can ooze for the first 8-12 hours and even a few days postop depending on activity level and agitation of the incision.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both...I know this must be frustrating but once a dog fixates on scratching all you can do is minimize the agitation as you are doing now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all of your help!

You are very welcome. You both will be in my thoughts tonight. Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with this evening.

f you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!