Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a lab and a small mixed breed. They both just ate a

I have a lab and a small mixed breed. They both just ate a Hartz chew for dogs. The chew is marketed as a smokey spare rib bone. All Natural! After they chewed them up and swallowed them I looked at the package and it said to take them away if your dog starts to eat them. I had no idea they could chew them so fast and didn't realize the danger if swallowed. I am very concerned. Should I be?

Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for them.

Well, as you already know, ingesting large pieces of these bones is not ideal. Even if all natural, the bone itself and any flavoring stuff on it, can really predispose to some bad stomach and/or intestinal distress.

So, for now, there is no clinical indication to do anything if they are both doing okay.

However,
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

If vomiting, the vet will likely want to take an x-ray to see if any of the fragments are large enough to get stuck, as well as, start some good medication to help settle the digestive tract.

Often, panting or drooling can be the first symptoms you see, so keep a look out over the next 24 hours.

It is possible they may be just fine, and more so, for the larger dog, but you'll have to monitor them for now.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

But, if sickness does occur, don't use one of the above as a replacement for an emergency trip. You could just give a pepcid or prilosec if you wanted to do a little something at home to settle the stomach.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management