Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Just had a baked chicken sized absess said to

Just had a baked chicken sized absess said to allow it to drain for two weeks. Injecting it with peroxide twice daily...and it is shunted. The absess now sounds like a hallow drum, but with pressure days one through three release first four large blobs of what looked like raw liver....then, several large pieces of what looked like caramel sporadic small chunks of the "flan-like"'s still huge....are we on the right track?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Bo has this abscess

Dr. Altman :

Yes, it does sound as if things are progressing as I would like as well

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately these cannot be closed because the material will have no where to go

Dr. Altman :

Your only other option is to surgically go in and remove the dead and/dying tissue, close the wound and put a drain in coming out below the abscess but if this is healing, which it sounds like it is, then surgery maybe able to be avoided

Customer: ok, he has been showing weight loss.....I assumed since it was on his shoulder, he needed his food elevated. I did so and he's doing better. My question is that it drains so I to assume the hollow hell will retreat at some point and the shunt out at two weeks?
Customer: Shell sorry not hell
Dr. Altman :

I am assuming that you were also sent home with antibiotics and antiinflammatories as well

Dr. Altman :

Yes with time the tissue will granulate in and the pocket will recede

Customer: Yes five days of amoxicillin no anti inflamatories. He was lanced in two hole like areas and shunted.
Dr. Altman :

You can flush and then massage and flush again. Are you able to massage out some of this fluid? You should be flushing until the fluid is clear each time

Dr. Altman :

Ah so a drain was placed then

Customer: Funny you suggested this, I instinctively have been massaging sounds almost like digestive inside.
Dr. Altman :

If you are still removing fluid and material you absolutely need to continue the antibiotics longer than 5 days

Dr. Altman :

Yes, that is air and fluid

Customer: Flushing with peroxide until clear fluid..sometimes the peroxide comes flying out, other times it stays in.
Dr. Altman :

Your massaging it is going to allow the material that is attached to be removed and flushed out

Dr. Altman :

You should be able to remove about 50-70% of what you put in

Customer: When it stays in my fear is that when it doesn't come outit is blocking it with dead materials.....porridge guy this thing is immense.
Customer: Poor guy I meant...iPad sorry.
Customer: Ohhhh, no it's definitely less.
Dr. Altman :

LOL it is interesting what your computer is coming up with as alternatives!

Customer: I know...ok so conitnue flushing until it comes out and it should be clear. Thank you,
Dr. Altman :

Massaging and doing the best you can

Dr. Altman :

Yes, exactly

Dr. Altman :

And he should be on antibiotics 3-5 days past when the material is clear

Customer: Ok I was worrying that I was water logging him lol ...this make sense, like a sinus cavity,
Dr. Altman :

Customer: I have ten days worth of amoxicillin, doc said just keep him on five days...wife was dispensing and made a mistake
Dr. Altman :

OK glad you have the ten days in hopes you do not have to return

Customer: Thank you so much.
Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

Can I assist with any additional questions today?

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman