Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Hello. We just adopted (two days ago) a 5-year-old, 80lbs,

Hello. We just adopted (two days ago) a 5-year-old, 80lbs, mountain dog mix. He had been very playful and energetic, with a normal appetite, until today. Since we got him, his stool has been both soft and firm. After this morning's exercise with me (walk + light running spurts), during which he passed stool (soft) and urinated normally, he has not eaten anything (regular food, treats, chicken broth) and only drank water right when we returned home (and not since). His energy level is also much lower. Any tips on what to do to get him eating/drinking again?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

First, congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Altman :

It is fairly normal to have a dog enter a new house with no clinical signs of stress until 2-5 days after adoption

Dr. Altman :

Often they go home, act normal with normal stools/ appetite then within a few days have gi upset due to the stress of the new environment

Dr. Altman :

It is nothing you have done but definitely would advise a veterinary visit within the next 24 hours with a fecal evaluation to ensure he has nothing that requires treatment. Most veterinary clinics offer new client/ adoption exams at no charge to assist in developing a rapport with you and your new addition

Dr. Altman :

Tonight you can try cooking some lean meats and white rice to stimulate his appetite. If he goes 24-48 hours without food at his size he will be alright. You do not want to force the food/water because often they are refusing because they are nauseous and ingesting anything will cause vomiting

Dr. Altman :

You can try pepcid 20 mg every 12 hours for a few days OR prilosec 20 mg #2 daily as an alternative along with the white rice and lean meat but if there is no change in the next 12-24 hours I would advise a veterinary exam before things progress to vomiting/ diarrhea

Dr. Altman :

I will monitor for your entry to the chat to assist you both further, please let me know how else I can assist you today

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the advice! We will try cooking the lean meat and rice tonight and schedule a visit to the vet within 24 hours if nothing changes. I will be sure to let you know if I have any additional questions.

Cheers!

You are very welcome, good luck to you both and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!