Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Why is my dog limping on right hind leg after resting?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

May I ask what breed your dog is? Did your vet have any suspicions such as a cruciate or acl tear?

Customer: He is a lab/ pit mix. He is a rescue and his "foster mother" informed me he had injured it and believed it to be pulled muscle. He has improved since I got him (less limp with norm activity).
Dr. Altman :

OK thank you

Customer: Vet suspected it is in the knee, said there was "hard swelling" there. Just wondering about other options as it seems to loosen up with activity, but he will limp after a nap after we go for a jog.
Dr. Altman :

Just as when we wake up and begin moving our joints can be stiff, especially if your vet already suspects a cruciate injury

Dr. Altman :

Doing passive range of motion after waking up can really help quite a bit

Dr. Altman :

Also considering some physical therapy to build muscling in the leg and reduce the stiffness

Customer: Suggestions for care now, including activity limits? Also, was suggested to get imaging as next step. Does that sound appropriate?
Dr. Altman :

Physical therapy, laser therapy, acupuncture are great alternatives to reduce the stiffness and give you a better handle on how to do passive range of motion and massage to loosen the joints and muscles

Dr. Altman :

Yes, activity limiting the running, jumping, chasing balls, stairs, etc

Customer: Thank you
Dr. Altman :

Yes, x-rays definitely would be advised to get a diagnosis and a better idea how to proceed to control his discomfort

Dr. Altman :

But I have several dogs that have had partial tears or discomfort respond well to laser therapy and postpone any further diagnostics or workup for a bit

Customer: Ok. Thank you. He enjoys running and playing still, just don't want to push him and make it worse either.
Dr. Altman :

I really would limit those if this is a partial tear of the cruciate these activities can cause a full tear and can also put him at risk of tearing his other knee (60% do within a year of the other knee)

Customer: Will do. Thank you