Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.

My dog is a 75lb Pit Bull mix, perhaps Dalmation, who I agreed

My dog is a 75lb Pit Bull mix, perhaps Dalmation, who I agreed to take care of about two years ago for a friend deployed to Afghanistan. He is now a family member and is ours to keep, and he is a happy and active dog. His approximate age is 6, and he has a skin abnormality on the left side of his penis. It was a solid color, red, and about the size of a kernel of corn, and would bleed lightly if he scratched it while itching fleas. Last night I was summoned by my youngest daughter who sounded alarmed and terrified, yelling that Max was bleeding profusely from the lesion on his penis. I checked and indeed, the blood was flowing liberally and dripping all over and was all over his feet. I calmed him down and let him relax by combing and petting him and clotting occurred within minutes. My son had Max sleep with him last night and there was evidence of bleeding during the night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear he has this lesion

Dr. Altman :

May I ask is it within the skin itself or raised above the skin of the prepuce?

Dr. Altman :

There are many causes of lesions like this, some infectious while others can be cancerous. If it is bleeding this readily it really should be evaluated by your veterinarian to determine the cause and begin appropriate treatment

Dr. Altman :

If it is an infection it might require an antibacterial shampoo and/ or oral antibiotics along with limiting his access of the area to allow healing

Dr. Altman :

If it is a tumor, an aspiration or biopsy might be required to get a diagnosis and form a plan for removal to limit the bleeding recurrence and hopefully prevent spread

Customer:

It is above the skin, raised, and in my hasty online research I came across a description of a Mass Cell tumor? Do you have Veterinarian you could recommend if I told you where I live? I have not taken Max to the Vet before because he was never socialized with other animals and behaves very aggressively towards animals and people he does not know. I will take him to a local veterinarian but I probably should get a muzzle for him before going.

Dr. Altman :

Thank you for your additional information

Dr. Altman :

Yes, mast cell tumor is high on my list of concerns

Dr. Altman :

The veterinary clinic will have a muzzle you can take out to the car prior to the appointment

Dr. Altman :

Ask for the last appointment of the day to minimize his exposure to other pets

Customer:

In your opinion, if it is a mast cell tumor on the side of the penis, can it be removed?

Dr. Altman :

If you give me your location I can definitely give you an idea of options but it might be better to ask friends/ neighbors who they like in the area since they will be a better resource

Dr. Altman :

Yes, it is more a prepuce or skin over the penis and depending on location it will be resectable

Customer:

I live in Orange, California, right off Chapman Ave where there must be 10 Vets and animal hospitals. I don't know many people here, lots of neighbors who seem to never come out of the house? I do have a Vet I used for my pets years ago, but that is in a city over 20 miles away, but if I cannot get a recommendation for Orange, I will take him to the only Vet I do know in that farther location. If you don't have a recommendation that you know personally, it is OK, and I will go to the one I am familiar with. Your idea of going at the end of their day is a great idea. Thank you for your help, it is better to have some advise and information then to sit and watch helplessly. Max is not in any obvious pain which is a HUGE relief, hopefully he is not terminal, but I will do what it takes to find out and save him if possible.

Dr. Altman :

I completely understand feeling helpless

Dr. Altman :

I would also recommend going on a very nice long walk prior to the appointment and consider 1 mg/ pound benadryl to calm his nerves a bit

Dr. Altman :

About an hour prior to the appointment

Customer:

Not something we see daily, that is for sure. Excellent advice about the walk, and getting him to take a Benadryl will be easy enough as he would eat the putty of of a window, so a pill mixed with bread will do. I am going to hit the road then, or phone I should say, and get hold of the Vet. Thank you for all your help. I greatly appreciate the ultra-fast response to my questions, very very helpful. Max appreciates it to no doubt!!

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

I truly wish you luck and hope it is more of a skin infection than anything else

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer:

Have a great week Dr. Altman, and thank you for the information on how to contact you again. I would like to give you the outcome, so even if it cost money on this service, I am willing to pay in order to keep you in the loop. Thank you again.

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.