Have Dog Health Questions? Ask a Dog Vet Online.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I am sorry to hear that Abbey has possibly eaten a moth ball.
If it was the old fashioned type that contains Napthalene or you aren't sure and it has been less then 2 hours since she ate it then I would induce vomiting. She is a small dog and one can be enough to make her sick. Naphthalene toxicity can lead to anemia (low numbers of red blood cells), lethargy, vomiting, and sometimes damage to the kidneys or liver. There is no antidote to this toxin so getting rid of it is best. Once the damage is done we can only try and support them while they recover.
You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread (no more than 3 tablespoons even if she weighs more than 45 pounds).
Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide soaked bread dose once.
If you do not have peroxide then I recommend getting her to a veterinary clinic to induce vomiting.
If you do have peroxide and she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the moth ball is present.
If it is present to try and settle her stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weightevery 12 hours.
OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weightevery 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.
I will have more recommendations for follow up care but I wanted you to have this to start.
If it has been several hours since she ingested the moth ball it is too late to induce vomiting.
At that point I would recommend a veterinary visit so they can give her medication to try and absorb the toxin and support her liver and kidneys with fluid therapy, give injectable medication to control nausea, as well as a possible blood transfusion if necessary.
If she vomits the moth ball, you give the acid reducers and she seems to feel better then I recommend feeding a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, or lean ground beef, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice for a few days.
Once she's feeing well again then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her convertedback to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you for your response. Since she is having no ill effects and we
have the moth ball chances are she only sniffed it and didn't like it.
We will watch her but she seems fine.
Linda, that is a huge relief that she didn't ingest the moth ball.
There is a big difference between licking one and eating the entire thing and If she just licked it then chances are she will be fine.
Watch her for signs of nausea, lethargy and pale or muddy colored gums and if you see any of those signs (very unlikely) then she should be examined by a veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.