Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I give my own vaccinations and have never had this problem.

I give my own vaccinations and have never had this problem. i got half in and the dog moved and the other half got spilled on the fur. so not sure how much got in. its his basic 7 way do i wait and give him another in a few weeks?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Talon.
It happens even to doctors and technicians. No problem.

Well, if you are confident about 1/2 of the vaccine was not admnistered, there would be no harm in just giving another 1/2 now. Even if that results in a little more or a little less than the intended dose, that is not a concern.

Certainly, I would always advise monitoring for any vaccine reactions, but not because of what happened.

The classic complications would be vomiting, facial swelling, or hives like reaction on the skin.

If you wanted to be a bit more proactive to try and avoid issues, no reason you can't give a dose of some benadryl 1 hour beforehand.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it).

Benadryl probably a good idea anyway since this is not just a distemper/parvo, and you are giving a 7 way shot.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not 100% on how much got in. would it be better to wait a month and give him a full dose then just to be sure?

Hi Liz,
Vaccines are not a perfect science. Even if you got some in, and give a full dose in 1 month, that is okay.