Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Hi, Our 10 year old American Cocker Spaniel has had alergies

Hi, Our 10 year old American Cocker Spaniel has had alergies this year where she is licking and scratching seems like everywhere. She was treated with a cortisone shot this summer
after having a tick which did not stay due to the fact that we give her the revolution. Then after another month things did not change too much so we ended up going back to the vet and they provided us with a drug Vanectyl P which we followed to a "T". She also wore this cone to prevent her from licking for approx. 6 weeks while she was on the meds. The meds were finished on October 2nd and now we have noticed a sudden hearing loss.
It just seems like she doesn't hear us at all. We tried knocking at the door to see if there would be a reaction and there was no response. I have checked her ears and they seem clear of wax build up. For the last few days I have been flushing her ears with Ear Wash with tea tree oil just in case there is wax build up. It just seems like the hearing loss is so sudden and both ears at once is causing concerns. What can we do for our little one?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Liza.

A few suggestions:
1. Definitely, get back into the vet so they can scope the ear canals and visualize the ear drum. They really need to see if the ear drum is okay or not.

2. Confirm there is no active ear infection in the deep canals. A common mistake even made by vets is when they don't scope deeper into the ears. Ear infections are also the #1 complication of underlying allergies.

3. Do a hearing test.
Stand behind her so she can't see you. Can't see you. Whistle and see if she turns.

Next, get a large book. Stand behind her. Slam it shut and see if she turns. Do not drop it, as she can feel the vibration and do not slam it shut towards her, as she will feel the wind generated by the book slam and also turn.

I have no reason to suspect the medication is the cause of the hearing loss, and Liza is older, but maybe there is a underlying medical issue that could be resolved or at least improved.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.