Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

diarrhea, not eating, she now is shaking uncontrollably

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

DId the veterinarian prescribe any medication?

Dr. Drew :

Is Sandie vomiting?

Dr. Drew :

Bad service?

Dr. Drew :

You didn't even respond to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no medication was prescribed. no vomiting either

There are a few other tests which should be run, in a senior aged dog with serious digestive upset. The shaking suggests that Sandie may be in pain, or that there may be imbalances in her electrolyte levels, so bloodwork would be needed to assess this possibility and to determine what kind of treatment is needed.

If veterinary care is not available, there are some things that can be attempted at home, but it is important to remember that without having the cause of the problem identified, Sandie's condition may worsen.

Pepto-Bismol liquid, 1mL per 10 pounds (1mL per 5kg) body weight, can be given every 12 hours as needed for diarrhea.

Oral rehydration, using a 50-50 mix of water and gatorade, or water and pedialyte, is useful as well. Approximately 2-4mL per pound (1-2mL per kg), every 1-2 hours would be suggested. A 50-50 mix of water and chicken broth is also acceptable.

If no improvement is noted after 12-24 hours, then you must seek veterinary care as soon as possible.