Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

Hi, My dog has not been able to keep most food and water down

Hi, My dog has not been able to keep most food and water down since friday. wants to drink a lot of water but vomits it up clear water ,clear mucus and food. he is not lethargic at this time. 2 weeks ago i brought him to the vet for being lethargic they did blood work and he was dehydrated. after coming home from vet had poop with cigarette butts, muffin wrappers,and grass. I think he got more cupcakes/muffin wrappers out of garbage when grandson was here. I also have sunflowers that are drying in yard maybe ate those on the ground. he is pooping a little at a time soft and spongy material. but not able to keep much down . i really dont have the money for emergency vet. can it wait til tomarrow when i can get a appointment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 9 months ago.
Hi there, my name is & and I am a veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. Considering the recent history of your dog, I suspect that your dog has something obstructing his gastrointestinal tract. I would try withholding all food and water for the next 8 hours, and see a veterinarian today for x-rays. I don't think you need to rush to the emergency vet at this time, as long as you see a vet today. Sometimes if your dog has an obstruction and you cannot afford surgery, the vet can give a long-acting anti-vomiting injection and then you can force-feed your dog 1/2 cup of Mineral Oil, which can be obtained at your pharmacy. That can help lubricate your dogs intestines and potentially help the obstruction pass through. But this should be used as a last resort, only if surgery is simply not an option. If you can't get into see your vet today, withhold all food and water for eight hours and give your dog a tablet of Prilosec. If your dog does not vomit for eight hours, then you can offer a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice in small quantities throughout the course of the day. If he continues to vomit, then you'll need to see a vet.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005