Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

Our golf course has been recently sprayed with a cemicle to

Customer Question

Our golf course has been recently sprayed with a cemicle to put grass in a dormant stage. Our lab is vomiting and off feed. She ate golf course grass
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Do you know what the name of the chemical was that was used on the grass?

Did your lab ingest any grass within 24 hours of the chemical being sprayed on the grass?

Is she holding down any water?

Does she seem to be uncomfortable when you squeeze her belly?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She does drink a lot of water. May have eaten grass w/ 24 hours of spraying she has eaten grass more than once Has been going on for about 5 days. 10 years old, very strong and healthy.Lab Previously. Dark urine. My daughters dog in Palm Desert, California. She has just begun to vomit water??should she give her dog activated charcoal, 260 mg, pills? She has eaten raw bones , her gums are yellow?? Lots of energy level, though. Please help us.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that she has been vomiting and has yellow gums at this time. Yellow gums and vomiting are suggestive of liver disease or a disorder that has affected her liver. Vomiting is also a common symptom of a liver disorder. Most of the chemicals that are sprayed on the grass are actually fairly safe for dogs and have been studied quite extensively. For a lab to develop a toxicity from a chemical on the grass, she would have needed to ingest quite a bit of the chemical or actually almost drank the chemical straight.

She still could have been poisoned by the chemical though this is unlikely. With dark urine and yellow gums, I would be concerned that she has a very high bilirubin level in her blood stream. The bilirubin level in her blood stream indicates that her liver is not functioning correctly or she could have a disorder where her red blood cells are being destroyed in her body. EIther one of these disorders can be quite serious therefore she really should be taken to a vet as soon as you can get her there. If you do have an emergency hospital nearby, it would be worth while to even consider taking her there tonight.

Possible liver diseases would be hepatitis, a blocked or inflamed gall bladder, an infection in her liver, or unfortunately cancer needs to be considered though this is not something I like to bring up. A blood panel would be recommended first to determine if her liver or her red blood cells are the main problem. If her liver does seem affected then your vet will most likely suggest an abdominal ultrasound of her liver to help narrow down the exact diagnosis.

Almost all of the above diseases can be treated with prescription medications and liver supplements.

At this time, I can understand that taking her to a vet right away is not always possible therefore if this is not possible, you can try some home care treatment. Honestly I do worry that this will not help though, but here are some suggestions to try with her.

I would try to use a oral syringe to give her some pedialyte or even some low sodium chicken broth. You can give her about 5-10 cc every 30-60 minutes to try to rehydrate her. Giving her smaller amounts more frequently can help her keep some of the liquids down better

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give her 5 mg for every 25 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

Activated charcoal can be given also since a toxicity is suspected. The dose is about 500 mg for every pound of weight therefore as you can tell she will need quite a bit to give the full dose. This can be given orally every 12 hours. You could always start with a lower dose first to see if she will hold the charcoal down.

If she starts to hold down liquids then you can feed her 8 hours after the last vomit. My recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until she is back to normal. This is very easy for her to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

Overall if she cannot hold down liquids at all then she really should be taken to the vet as she will need fluids to prevent her from getting seriously dehydrated. She also sounds like her liver or red blood cells counts are serious affected which is causing her gums to be yellow therefore if possible definitely get her to a vet soon.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM - 11 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. She does not want to eat. But my daughter is making her beef nd rice as we speak. She will try to get her into a vet tomorrow after her work. Of course, money is an issue if they want to do dramatic testing. Do you think a blood test could I give us a good indication of the problem?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
You are welcome. A blood test would definitely be very helpful. The blood test will usually include a Complete Blood Count (CBC) to determine her red blood cell count and a chemistry panel to determine her liver enzyme levels and total bilirubin. With her symptoms these tests may provide the diagnosis alone. Once your vet has a diagnosis the treatment plan can be started to help her feel better, stop vomiting and hopefully eat well again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The chemicals sprayed on grass was Trichlopyr?
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Trichlopyr is a chemical that has been studied and shown to have a low toxicity in animals including dogs. This chemical is eliminated fairly quickly from the body of dogs also therefore should not cause any lasting effects. Here is the safety information on the chemical: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/triclotech.pdf

Based on this information, I do not suspect that the Trichlopyr would be the cause of her yellow gums and vomiting.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Lab is better now. Eating boiled chicken & rice & Carrots, Eyes and gums almost back to normal. running and playful. Had ultra sound and liver biopsy at vet. blood test just came back diagnosis of Bacterial Hepatitis. Do you know where we can get more info on this disease? Vet was very vague. Could this be from Ant poisoning or weed killer on the golf course? Thanks for your clear information. The internet is full of Human hepatitis info but not much on dogs.

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 9 months ago.
Bacterial hepatitis in dogs is rarely caused by ingestion of a toxic. Bacteria is actually rare to see in the liver also which is why you are having trouble finding information on this subject.

Here is the best website I can find that discusses the common causes and treatment of bacterial hepatitis in dogs:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_suppurative_hepatitis#.UmXdGm_nubw