How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Matt Your Own Question
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5764
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Matt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 smaller dogs and one of them injested a very small

This answer was rated:

I have 2 smaller dogs and one of them injested a very small amount of milk chocolate from a nearly empty bridge mix so it was mostly filling and just a few pieces left. 1 dog is 16 lbs and the other is 25, how worrisome is this?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How much milk chocolate (in ounces) do you think Pepper and/or Scooter ate?

How long ago did they eat the chocolate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

most likely not even an ounce and probably 1 - 2 hours ago

Thank you for the additional information.

I have good news for you. While milk chocolate can be toxic to dogs, Scooter and Pepper would have needed to eat much more then an ounce to see any symptoms of chocolate toxicity. For example a 16 pound dog would need to ingest about 4.5 ounces of milk chocolate to have any problems. Since the amount that they ingested was most likely less then an ounce I would not expect any problems at all from the chocolate.

At this point, an upset stomach, if anything, could occur from eating a food item that they are not used to digesting. If you notice any vomiting or diarrhea I would recommend holding them off of food for about 8 hours and then feeding them a bland diet such as boiled ground beef and rice for a coupe of days.

Overall, they really should be just fine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Dr. Matt and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, I wasn't very worried really but I would have felt terrible if I didn't check it out and one of them got really sick. We have lost 2 elder dogs in just over a year and I wouldn't want to be the reason for any major problems. I will be more careful. thanks again.

You are very welcome!
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepper/Scooter. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt