Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have an 8 yr i=old doberman male that we found 3 years ago.

I have an 8 yr i=old doberman male that we found 3 years ago. He had heartworms so we have been giving him heartgard and iverhart plus each month. Last night I noticed behind his left front leg you could like see his heart beat and it quivered. He also has labored breathing and his respiratory was about 40 breaths per minute. This evening he wont even hike his leg to go to the bathroom. Could it be a respiratory infection or is it more to do with the heart?

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Gauge is having these signs

Dr. Altman :

I definitely would be more concerned about his heart than his lungs

Dr. Altman :

A normal respiratory rate is under thirty at rest, 30-60 is mildly elevated depending on the weather and activity level, over 60 I consider an emergency

Customer:

40 was at rest

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately Dobies are high risk for a heart condition called dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and this is always my first concern with this breed

Dr. Altman :

CLICK HERE for more information on this condition

Dr. Altman :

Are his gums nice and pink?

Customer:

He started acting funny last night and I also noticed that his abdomen is swollen. He looks bloated.

Customer:

His gums are kind of pink

Dr. Altman :

Is he able to rest comfortably or is he pacing/ anxious at all?

Customer:

Mainly lays down, but not very comfortable. He breathes alot of quick breaths.

Dr. Altman :

Is the abdominal swelling getting bigger the past 24 hours?

Customer:

I think so.

Dr. Altman :

I am afraid this is very concerning. Do you have a veterinary er in your area?

Customer:

Yes, I plan on taking him first thing in the morning. I didnt know what I could do for him to make him more comfortable.

Dr. Altman :

It could be bloat or the right side of the heart not functioning well and so the belly is swelling with fluid. Over time the increased pressure puts additional pressure on the diaphragm and restricts his ability to breath

Dr. Altman :

Do you have a veterinary emergency clinic? This might not be able to wait until morning

Customer:

I think so. I will call right now to see if I can get in touch with someone.

Dr. Altman :

Yes please, I will wait with you

Dr. Altman :

You can call your regular vet clinic

Dr. Altman :

Often they will list who to call in case of emergency on their voice mail

Dr. Altman :

I do not want to scare you but if he is retaining fluid he needs relief asap

Customer:

They did not have an emergency number. I will see who I can get in touch with.

Dr. Altman :

Would you like me to wait with you?

Customer:

No, that will be ok. I know that he is in distress. I will try to see someone tonight. I appreciate your help.

Dr. Altman :

OK, you both will truly be in my thoughts

Customer:

Thank you very much

Dr. Altman :

I would like to schedule a reminder to check in on you both tomorrow. There is no additional charge, I just want to know he will be alright...

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both tonight

Customer:

that will be fine. I

Dr. Altman :

OK, I will schedule the reminder once you rated. Good luck to you both

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Altman. I appreciate all the help you gave me last night. I was unable to get anyone to call me back from the vet, but I was able to take him this morning. They told me that his heart was starting to fail, but I guess since I caught it soon, they put him on Lasix, Enalapril, and Pimobendan twice a day. He is still a little lethargic but I am hoping that in a couple of days he will be better.

I am so grateful to receive an update because you both had me very worried last night! I am so sorry you learned he is declining with the heart disease but hopefully the medication will give him quite a bit of quantity and quality of life.

You both are in my thoughts, please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or concerns as you learn to live with this dreadful disease...