Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My 74# XXXXX lab just ate 20 grapes. Is that lethal?

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long ago did Kaiser eat the grapes?

Do you have any 3% hydrogen peroxide at home?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
30 -40 minutes. I should have some hydrogen peroxide here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has also been outside and urinated already. Not unusual.
Thank you for the reply.

I have good news for you. Grapes can be quite toxic to dogs. At this time, we do not know exactly why grapes are toxic to dogs and do not have an exact toxic dose that has been established. The lowest reported amount of grapes that was ingested that caused signs of toxicity in dogs at this time is about 0.32 ounces per kilogram of weight. Since Kaiser weighs 74 pounds or 34 kilograms this means that he would need to eat about 11 ounces of grapes to see signs of toxicity.

I do know that 20 grapes does not equal 11 ounces therefore he really should be safe and I definitely would not expect this amount of grapes to be lethal. An average grape weigh about 0.05 - 0.1 ounces therefore he would need to eat 110 larger grapes to really have any signs of toxicity.

At this point, I would watch him for any vomiting and diarrhea which can occur from ingesting anything out of the ordinary. If these signs are seen I would hold him off food for about 8 hours and then feed him a bland diet such as boiled ground beef and rice for a couple of days.

Overall he really should be just fine as this dose of grapes is not lethal at all.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you...my math was telling me 117 grapes, so we're relatively consistent. Just needed to be sure!