Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 2 dogs were at the petsitter with her 2 dogs and one of

My 2 dogs were at the petsitter with her 2 dogs and one of them pulled a half-full package of Glycoflex III (maybe 50-60 chews) off of the counter and took it outside. We don't know if the 4 dogs shared it or one ate it all (unlikely as they are all friendly and not food-aggressive). My dogs are 45 and 55 pounds. We don't know how long ago they got into it. So far they both all seem fine. Am I safe just waiting to see if they get diarrhea/vomiting? If they do, must I take them to the vet?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, glycoflex is a very safe medication. Overdoses generally are limited to vomiting and diarrhea otherwise they are fine. I would recommend you observe them for the next 24 hours, if they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him/her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Give their belly time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter