Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog lost his voice? What would cause that?

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well he has felt a lil boney to me last couple weeks n I noticed he seems 2 b getting cataracts, I thought he was just getting old. But then yesterday his bark had a little squeak to it. Then about 6 oclock tonite I noticed he was barking and not making a sound.

Jennifer, it sounds like Ollie has laryngitis which is often caused by excessive barking. Very similar to us when we yell a lot in a sports event we can loose our voice for several days. There could be other causes like laryngeal paralysis, polyps/tumors, etc. However, the most common cause is excessive barking. Typically they get better within 1-2 weeks. I would recommend you isolate him in an area where he doesn't bark. If he is not better in 1 week have him checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So he probably isn't in pain? Does laryngitis make him feel bad? Other symptoms are probably due to old age?

No, laryngitis it is not painful nor is it going to make him feel bad.

Cataracts are part of aging and also older patients do loose some muscle mass as they get older and become thinner. If you have not do so to be on the safe side I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a senior wellness examination as there could be diseases that can cause weight loss and cataracts like diabetes.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think he needs to be seen since he looks like he isn't feeling well? If so how soon?

If he looks like he isn't feeling well I would have him checked tomorrow. Your vet can examine him and run some blood work as initial screening test.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your time and help

You're welcome Jennifer.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter