Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

What can I give to our 8 month old golden retriever to calm

What can I give to our 8 month old golden retriever to calm her during a thunderstorm?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello.This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

How much does Goldie weigh? Does she take any medications or have other medical conditions?

Customer:

She has no other medical conditions and is not on any meds. She is slightly over 28 pounds

Dr. Christian K. :

Thank you for that information. Benadryl is an excellent starting point. It is very safe and the most common side effect is sedation. You can try giving 25mg every 8 to 12 hours. Try to give it about 30 minutes before needed if possible. If that doesn't work then you may have to discuss with your vet the option of a prescription sedative.

Customer:

Ok, I will try that. Thank You.

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. Good luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Goldie. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.