Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My mini schnauzer was constantly lick the area. I took

My mini schnauzer was constantly lick the anal area. I took him to the vet have his anal glands expressed. the vet expressed his anal glands and prescribed prednisone for allergies. Now all of the sudden he has quit playing, lethargic, and urinating a lot. Will these side effect go away?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many milligrams of Prednisone is he taking?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

20 lbs

no vomitng, diarrhea, or coughing

Phil, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with the side effects of the Prednisone, this is very common. Once you continue to taper him off the symptoms will go away, there should be no long term side effects. Do Not stop the prednisone abruptly, continue to taper him off as your veterinarian has recommended. Finally, if you have not already, discuss with your vet about starting him on a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d. Or, consider a trial with a grain free diet. Often changing the diet will help with itchy skin.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Hi Phil,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snowball. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter