Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my pug has developed dark spots on his skin and his hair is

my pug has developed dark spots on his skin and his hair is thinning
along with itching .I have stated using Adams skin medication for dogs .this seems to be helping some . Could you please tell me what you think is wrong with his skin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he gaining weight?
3- Is he drinking more than usual?
4- Besides the dark spots is the skin flaky, irritated, etc.?
5- Have you checked for fleas?
6- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The intense itching probably 3 months took him to vet for that she put him on steroids & antibotic for skin. cleared up skin(then was just red bumps) soon as ten day of giving him this itching resumed just as bad and then skin has developed these dark spots all over his body. Been giving him 1 and 1/2 Bendryl in morning & evening,

no he is not gaining weight

no he is not drinking more than usual

no the dark spots don't appear to be flaky. but the must be irritated as he itches

i have him on frontline for the fleas ,I do not see any

he weights around 32 lbs

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Did your vet do any blood work?
2- How many milligrams is the benadryl?
3- Is it fair to say the benadryl is not helping?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no blood work

25 milligrams

It gives relief from the itching for a while

he has more relief from the itching since i been using the adams skin med

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
What are the ingredients in Adam skin med?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2-mercaptobenzothiazole

alsoisopropyl aochol (probably mispelled as so small i can see it good)

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Vicki, the dark spots you are seeing are called "hyperpigmentation." This usually occurs secondary to an inflammatory process secondary to infections, allergies, hormonal disorders (hypothyroidism, cushing's), etc. to name a few causes. What happens is that inflammatory cells (macrophages) release melanin during the inflammatory response. The dark color will most likely not go away, it is not harmful just a consequence of inflammation.
When we put all of your history together the most likely cause is that your dog is suffering from allergies (food or environmental). I usually recommend to start with a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish in the past then put him on something like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Continue on Benadryl.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Bath him once every 21 days and use an oatmeal based shampoo.

5- If after doing the above there is no improvement, have him checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.