Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

what about if i give my dog benedryl like some vet do instead

what about if i give my dog benedryl like some vet do instead of all of this stuff they advertise online i buy him flea med so i know it cannot be fleas
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am not certain if you have asked a previous question which I cannot access if you have two accounts, but yes, vets will frequently recommend benadryl.
The only negative with benadryl is that it can sometimes be excessively sedating, and often, you need it every 8 hours to help.

Another option is over the counter zyrtec.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Another antihistamine to consider is zyrtec (cetirizine). It's advantage is that it is only given once a day. The dose is about 1mg per 2 pounds of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get a 10mg dose. It comes over the counter as 5mg or 10mg tablets. Another resource suggests starting with no more than 10mg even for medium to larger dogs.

Depending on your flea medication, it could still be a flea issue. Remember, there is no flea product, including even the good oral medication stuff like Trifexis, that will stop flea bites. So, even though you can kill adult fleas quickly with flea control, they can still bite causing flea allergy reactions.

When antihistamines fail, then your best bet is some steroids from a vet, which tends to work the quickest and the most effective for issues like excessive scratching or chewing.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?