Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

my little dog has a tight abdomen, shrivering like she is cold

my little dog has a tight abdomen, shrivering like she is cold and she doesnt want to move around

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

How long has Rata had the shivering? Has she had any other symptoms (vomit, loose stool, not eating) or an unusual activity (such as refusing to be active or refuses to jump)?

Customer:

no vomiting pooped this morning ate a little today drank water. yes refusing to be active and she doesnt want to jump. she wants to just hide and lay down, not excited to be at the park and keeps laying down. will move around if we make her and looks normal. she walked back from the park by herself at normal speed, peed and then came back home and is hiding behind the couch. doesnt cry when we touch her but doesnt want to be touched by other animals

Dr. Joey :

With regard to shivering, this generally means either she is experiencing pain. The most common cause of pain to lead to the behaviors she shows is back or neck pain. This is common in our small dogs, and can be caused by jumping down from high places such as a bed or sofa. There are certainly other possible causes for the pain such as from her abdomen. Other conditions that cuase trembling such as Addison's disease would also produce other signs such as loose stool.

Dr. Joey :

This is something that there is not a lot you can do at home for (if she has neck or back pain). I do recommend you test these areas to see if she is painful. To check her neck: Gently and slowly with her in a sitting or standing position raise her head until her nose is pointed at the ceiling. Then lower her nose until pointed at the floor. Then more left until her nose almost touches her shoulder and then right. If she vocalizes or refuses then you foudn the pain. Next, check her back. Run your finger down her spine slowly and gently pressing over each vertebrae. If she shirks away or vocalizes then you found the spot.

Dr. Joey :

And if you find spinal pain then this is something that indicates she really should be seen tonight, or at the latest tomorrow morning. This hurts and there is nothing I can safely recommend you give her over-the-counter (you cannot do ibuprofen, aspirin, acetaminophen or naproxen).

Customer:

her poop looked fine this morning. we just sqeezed her belly an she yiped and its bloated

Dr. Joey :

If the pain is in her stomach and it is truly bloated then this is another indication to have her seen immediately tonight. It is possible that she has eaten something that is trapped or she may have a true bloat which is a medical emergency (rare in small dogs but I have treated several cases). I must say I advocate an emergency visit with her tonight, if possible. If this is not possible then monitor her closely, keep her somewhere quiet and safe where she cannot fall or hurt herself and then have her seen first thing in the morning.

Customer:

thanks i think we are taking her to the emergency vet

Dr. Joey :

I think that is really the best plan. Please keep me posted and let me know what you find at the clinic. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.