Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

my dog threw up it had white jello like clumps (large)

my dog just threw up and it had white jello like clumps (large) and a red jello like clump. it almost looked like stomach lining. there was also a gritty sandy substance. IM REALLY SCARED. should i take my dog to the pet ER? or should i wait until the morning? he is very lethargic and wont eat

Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I'm sorry to hear that Rio is vomiting and lethargic.

I do need a little more information from you, no additional charge but it will help me guide you.

1. Is this the first time he vomited or has he vomited several times?
  2. Has he been eating normally until he started vomiting?
  3. When is the last time he ate?
  4. How long has he felt sick?
  5. Any diarrhea? What have his most recent stools looked like?
  6. Has he gotten into anything he should not have (garbage, kitty litter, bones)?
  7. Is it possible that he was exposed to any sort of toxins, especially rodencticides?
  8. What color are his gums and tongue (bubble gum pink, very pale pink or white)?
  9. Does his abdomen appear tense and bloated?

Thanks for your patience with all my questions, please let me consider your responses for several minutes and then I will write up my recommendations.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2)no. ate breakfast but wouldnt eat his snack. wouldnt eat dinner. wouldnt even eat a french fry!

3)around 8am

4)since 5pm he has been lethargic all day.

5)couldnt tell, he goes out to poop and can walk around alone. it was dark and pouring down rain so i couldnt see. he did poop two times which was unusual.

6)no, maybe some rabbit poo but it is an indoor rabbit

7)we do not use any so no

8)very very pale

9) slightly. he is sleeping so he seems more relaxed.

Thanks for your responses, they are quite helpful.

Given what you have told me I recommend that you have him seen tonight at an emergency clinic if possible.

I don't like that he has been lethargic all day.

Vomiting once is not a big concern but what he vomited, which sounds like fresh blood, blood clots, stomach mucous and digested blood points toward very severe gastric irritation, possibly an ulcer.

His very pale gums and tongue point toward significant bleeding, probably in his gastrointestinal tract. I would be much less concerned if you told me his gums and tongue were a nice bubblegum pink. Blood and abdominal pain can make dogs very nauseous so I am not surprised he doesn't want to eat.

His lethargy may be due to abdominal pain, anemia and poor oxygenation due to bleeding or just that he is feeling very unwell.

It sounds like toxin exposure or garbage ingestion is unlikely so organ disease (kidney or liver disease, or severe pancreatitis) or a mass in the gastrointestinal tract leading to irritation and ulcers are possible causes of what you are seeing.

Whatever is going on needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Natalie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rio. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rio is doing fine and seems to be back to his normal self! He was pretty miserable that night, very lethargic, sleeping, wouldnt eat or drink, wouldnt go to the bathroom... But the next day he seemed better. His stool was normal when he finally went. He threw up once more but it was just water so I wasnt worried. No more of the "jello" like substance came up. Thanks for your help. You definitely helped ease my fears and kept me calm. I dont have kids so when it comes to my dog he IS my baby!!! I get a little neurotic when he gets (even a little) sick so this really scared me. Hes scheduled for his regular checkup soon so I will tell the vet abou this and see if She thinks any tests/xrays need to be done. But, Im happy to report that for now everything seems to be A-OK!

Natalie, thank you for the update on Rio, I am very pleased to hear that he is feeling so much better. He had me quite worried about him that evening.

Definitely mention his episode to his veterinarian when she sees him. It is possible that he ate something you aren't aware of and that led to his severe gastrointestinal upset, but he warrants a very close look.

Thanks again for taking the time to update me, I really appreciate it, Dr. Kara.