Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

our 9 year old lab who has not been spayed started her heat

our 9 year old lab who has not been spayed started her heat three months ago. she has never really totally stopped bleeding red blood. yesterday I was gone all day and my husband was worried that she was bleeding heavier. today she is more lethargic and I let her outside to urinate. she had a little bit of vomiting as well I could sort of see in the dark.

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is she eating and drinking?

Dr. Christian K. :

Are her gums a normal pink color?

I've switched away from the chat function since it can sometimes be buggy. Were you able to see my questions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she has not been eating or drinking tonight. my son tried to offer her a dog treat afterschool and she wouldn't eat it. she loves to go for walks and so she perked up a bit to go for a walk with him. but she is definitely sluggish and hasn't had anything to drink this evening so far. she has just been lying around the living room with me.

her gums are reddish pink and black...which since she is a black dog, then they are usually black and pink.

Thank you for that information. I suspect she is suffering from pyometra. It is a life threatening infection in the uterus that typically occurs in older unspayed dogs. The discharge you are seeing is not from being in heat but is actually blood and pus draining from her uterus. As the infection worsens the symptoms are exactly what you've described. The infection can be very serious if left untreated. Antibiotics and spaying is the treatment of choice. Spaying her removes the uterus and source of infection. I definitely recommend having her seen now rather than waiting. Her illness will only worsen through the weekend and the sicker she is the harder her treatment will be. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's what I was worried about after looking it up on internet....thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Good luck. I hope she feels better soon.
This is Dr. Christian. How is Blackie doing?